Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is breakfast included in the room rates?
Yes, a fully cooked southern breakfast that changes daily.
2. If your dining room is closed tonight where do we go to eat?
We are open Wednesday through Saturday evenings for dinner. Otherwise, there are at least 10 restaurants within a 5 to 20 minute drive from the Lodge.l We will be glad to make reservations for you.
3. What is your check-in and check-out time?
Check-in is 3 PM and check-out is 11 AM. Contact us if you need special consideration.
4. Do you offer wireless internet?
Wireless high speed internet is available for no extra charge.
5. Do you have a computer for public use?
Yes, in the Great Room of the Lodge.
6. What activities are there to do on the premises?
We offer pontoon boat rides and canoes are available for personal use. Set aside time for a private massage, or you can swim or fish off of our docks.
7. What activities are there to do in the area?
The area is rich in opportunities to enjoy the natural and cultural diversity of the Blue Ridge Mountains. See our activities page for more information.
8. Do you have a full bar?
We currently offer a carefully chosen wine list to accompany your dinner as well as through room service.
9. Where was Dirty Dancing filmed?
Part of Dirty Dancing was filmed at Lake Lure. The stairs that Baby danced down are still intact, but the other buildings have burned down. In August there is a Dirty Dancing Festival at Lake Lure with an outdoor viewing of the movie, as well as dancing, games and a lake lift competition.
10. Where is the closest place to hike?
The closest trail, the Donald Ross Hiking Trail, is within 5 minutes of the Lodge at the Municipal Golf Course. There are also many state and national parks including Chimney Rock State Park which is a short 15 minute drive away. Dupont State Park, Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Pisgah National Forest are all within easy reach for day hikes of all levels.
11. When was the Lodge built?
The Lodge was built in the 1930′s by the North Carolina Highway Patrol as a retreat. It was opened to the public as an Inn in 1990.
12. Is the Lodge haunted?
According to Southern Spirit Guide a benevolent ghost sometimes haunts the Lodge.
13. What’s the Lodge’s busiest time of the year?
All weekends are usually busy. Starting in June through mid-November is our busiest season. We usually have a very late fall compared with the rest of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
14. Do you have extra beds available?
For additional beds for adults we recommend Half ‘n Half with a pull out sofa or with rollaway beds especially Golden Pond, Fortune Cookie and African Queens. For smaller children we have two rooms with a comfortable sofa, Dream Catcher and African Queens. There will be an additional charge for the extra person, and please let us know in advance if you need an extra bed.
15. Do you have a corkage charge?
16. Are pets allowed?
Pets can be accommodated at the Lodge in three of our rooms, Barnwood, Mellow Yellow and Secret Garden only, in consideration of pet allergies of our lodgers. Feel free to enjoy our raccoons, squirrels and Mr. Boots, the Lodge cat who will probably greet you in the parking lot on your arrival.
17. Do your rooms have an iron and ironing board, and a hair dryer?
Yes, they are provided for your use in each room.
18. What is the elevation of Lake Lure?
990 feet above sea level, or 301.75 meters.
19. How many miles of shoreline make up the lake?